JOB POSTING: Data Governance Manager
The Terry Fox Research Institute (TFRI), named for Canadian icon Terry Fox, is built on Terry's dream to end cancer through research. Established in 2007, TFRI invests in world-class, collaborative cancer research teams and partnerships. Together with its research and funding partners, TFRI is working to inspire the transformation of cancer research in Canada by bringing together leading cancer research and treatment organizations from coast to coast and empowering them under the framework of the Marathon of Hope Cancer Centres Network.
About this Opportunity
We seek a highly motivated, collaborative, and analytical professional who will lead the development of data policies, processes, guidelines, and operations to advance adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI), and effective Data Management Practices in support of key TFRI initiatives and programs including the Digital Health and Discovery Platform and the Marathon of Hope Cancer Centre Network.
The Digital Health and Discovery Platform (DHDP.ca) is a scalable, multi-use platform to digitally-enable national and international collaboration to advance next-generation precision medicine technologies. The DHDP is co-led with Imagia, an artificial intelligence healthcare company, and funded from the Government of Canada’s Strategic Innovation Fund Stream 4 program. The DHDP will apply state-of-the-art data governance principles and technology to transform collaborative research and stimulate commercialization from home grown research discoveries.
The Marathon of Hope Cancer Centres Network is a bold vision led by The Terry Fox Research Institute and The Terry Fox Foundation with support from dozens of research and funding partners across Canada including a $150M investment from the Government of Canada. Its goal is to accelerate the adoption of Precision Medicine for cancer through the creation of a pan Canadian network of designated cancer centres. This network represents a powerful collaborative platform that will embed research in the cancer clinic, uniting the top-tier cancer researchers and clinicians in Canada and allowing them to share their data - treatments and outcomes – to deliver the best outcomes for each patient in the collective pursuit of curing cancer.
Reporting to the Chief Data Officer, in close collaboration with the Executive Directors of both the DHDP and Marathon of Hope, the Data Governance Manager will lead and support collaborative data initiatives, provide thought leadership over health data’s entire lifecycle, and work with key partners to build robust yet progressive deliverables that enable effective and responsible sharing of high quality data. Key to this role is establishing frameworks to advance the responsible application of Data Management and Analytics practices e.g., Trustworthy or Ethical and Responsible AI.
Other fundamental responsibilities and accountabilities will include:
- Engage and collaborate with experts and site representatives to develop and implement policy and governance frameworks, procedures, and solutions.
- Establish network operations to support data and AI governance and data access.
- Perform current state assessments, best practice reviews and recommendation reports to inform the direction of the DHDP and MOHCCN; key areas include interoperability standards, FAIR (Findability, Accessibility, Interoperability, and Reusability), consent, privacy, traceability and security.
- Support the formation and operations of relevant DHDP and MOHCCN committees.
- Leverage key guidance including Privacy by Design Principles, the Montreal Declaration for a Responsible Development of Artificial Intelligence, and international standards from organizations such as the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health.
- Work with cross-functional partners including clinical, technical, legal, industry, academic and the artificial intelligence user community to understand data challenges and identify novel solutions for remediation.
- Develop, maintain and evolve relationships with the DHDP and MOHCCN community, external organizations, and communities of practice.
As our successful candidate for this integral role, you demonstrate high standards, strong research and project management skills. You are also self-driven, exceptionally organized and demonstrate a flexibility and adaptability to thrive in a collaborative, multidisciplinary work environment. In addition, you must have/be able to demonstrate the following:
- Advanced degree(s) with 7+ years’ relevant experience
- Understanding of data policy, privacy legislation, regulatory environment, ethics and governance related to health and artificial intelligence
- Knowledge of the Canadian health care system, health care data and health care data platforms
- Solid track record of producing solutions that responsibly enable access to data
- Ability to manage volume and a diverse portfolio of initiatives and partners crossing disciplines and functions
- Ability to excel in a matrixed environment
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to gather, analyze, and interpret complex information
- Strong writing, presentation, negotiation, and facilitation skills
- Expertise in creating and managing complex stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to work collaboratively to resolve issues, negotiate changes and shifts in priorities
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in healthcare, specifically that of pan-Canadian digital health and data initiatives.
If Terry’s dream is your dream, and you value excellence, integrity, leadership, are results orientated and believe in taking risks, we invite you to email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Data Governance Manager – Position Application. We thank all applicants for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information on TFRI, please visit our website.